Wednesday, February 20, 2019

A Visit to Comotion at the University of Washington

I had a chance to go try Magic Leap today. Of the major players this is the last one for me to try. (although everything will probably change in less than a week.)

If I were to make my best guess it would be that the displays contained in Magic Leap are the same as in the recent version of the Hololens.

As far as I could tell, the field of view, opacity and brightness are identical. -- caveat being that I'm operating from memory on the Hololens... although I did go back and see Hololens last weekend.)

I think MicroVision can be included in every company's near eye displays, just like they can use the same lightbulbs or processors in numerous applications. Nomad had better field of view.

The differences in user interface, setup and content are significant.

COmotion Labs AR/VR/MR



Unlike the Hololens (current version) the computer isn't self-contained in the head mount. The Round puck thing the same size as the phone needs to be carried with the unit. It fits over a pocket (half in the pocket, half out, which is pretty smart and convenient. Although it does get dropped.)

The little device seen through the head piece is a "wand" that you use as a pointer. When you use this as you're using the device, it's as though you have a laser wand, and you use it to point and click. I'd say it's more intuitive than the gesture control of the Hololens, but it is an extra piece that you need to keep track of.

Regular users I think would prefer the gesture control, because then after a short learning curve you don't need extra tools.


I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the space. There were a number of groups of people working on some very interesting looking things, and a lot of people sitting at desks looking at code.


Here's what they're working on
They do seem to have some interesting company in the building. 

























Thanks for the tour Xuny!

No comments:

Post a Comment