Saturday, October 17, 2015

Visited MPCL1 last night


A friend has received an MPCL1 and I went to give it a look last night. The picture is excellent as I expected. 

Most of what I saw was what I expected, it's an excellent product, producing an excellent picture. In darkness you ask yourself why you would want a television set at all.

What I found extraordinary was the keystone correction. I didn't expect this. I have used my own PicoPro to view content on the ceiling,  and the trick to that is to lay flat on your back and project straight up.

With the keystone correction, we were able to shine the projector at about a 45 degree angle up at the ceiling, and adjust the picture. The effect is amazing. Rather than feeling like you're looking up at the ceiling, it is as though you have a drop down screen. Instead of laying down, you can recline and watch very comfortably.

The effect is really awesome, and it's very simple to make the adjustment.

Good job SONY!

4 comments:

  1. I really want to replace my PicoPro with one of these for the keystone correction. Here's hoping it comes to the UK before the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you tell whether the keystone correction was digital (transform the picture by warping it, which would drop pixels or cause blurriness) or analog (adjusting the sweep width as it paints the picture)? the Lagom LCD website has a good page for testing this: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't tell how it was done. To make it happen you use a controller on the side of the unit. Using it was so intuitive, that it was simple and quick. It didn't make the picture blur.

    My impression was that it must have just adjusted the size of the pixels that were being projected, to change the size of one side of the image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just as a followup - it's using a digital transformation to do the keystone correction. You can verify this by adjusting the horizontal keystoning setting to its far limit, and then going into one of the alignment screens (just to get a black picture). You will see minor stairstepping on all the horizontal (now diagonal :) lines, and you can see that the thin grey alignment line (the PicoPro manual calls this an APC line) at the bottom of the screen is still in its original position.

    ReplyDelete